Sunday, December 1, 2013

Thanksgiving Break, 2013

What was probably my last Thanksgiving break (at least the last one that'll be an entire week long) was less than eventful, but nonetheless important.

The closer I get to graduating, and realizing I'll have less time to spend with my family, a week home was just what I needed. Just the idea that it's my last year in academia has caused me more self inflicted stress than I hoped. While my classes aren't all that difficult, I find it hard to concentrate and get motivated. It is the infamous senioritis syndrome. It sucks.

And while I'm more than thankful break finally arrived, knowing that it's already the end of November is extremely scary. And now that it's the end of break, I'm already looking forward to Christmas break.

Our family doesn't celebrate Thanksgiving the way others might, but it's still exciting being home again. We had a buttload of lobsters, a lot of hotpot, and my mom's gotten into using the oven! That's new for us. She baked pork ribs, potatoes, and even a duck! (That was our turkey.)

We don't partake in Black Friday much either, but this year we thought we'd check out what the scene was like. Everyone's opening early at midnight, so it was plausible. However when we drove to Walmart, around the time they were suppose to open up the doors to everyone, we were shocked to see a crazy long line! I mean, I was expecting it, but still!
The only thing was, they were only letting a set amount of people in at a time, making the line move slower, and meaning those who weren't in line, should forget about getting in within the following minutes. And again, we didn't think it through. It was an annoying system, but given Walmart's history with Black Friday, (look it up, it was tragic), it makes a lot of sense. Actually, everyone should of done it the way they did so there wasn't any trampling. In the end we didn't go inside. We went right back home and I regretted nothing. Boy was it cold.
Normally we'd hit up Walmart Friday evening, and see what's left. And for the past few years I've always bought fleece pajama pants cause they were always $4-$5! And cute and comfy :) Started turning into a tradition, but we didn't end up going Friday (And I didn't get my pants this year D:), but instead went today, and my dad actually brought home a TV!

In the end all my Black Friday shopping ended up being online. Apparently I have more self control in stores than I do on my bed with my computer and debit card. Can't wait for my things to arrive in the mail. :)

And now we're at the end of the week my of relaxation. Only hours away until I have to drive to Boston to catch my bus, I watch The Big Bang Theory to pass the time. It's almost becoming a tradition. Syracuse, see you in a few.

To future Jackie:
Hows the following Thanksgivings? Black fridays? Have you adapted to not being on a semester/vacation schedule?
Hope you're still watching TBBT!

No comments:

Post a Comment