Sunday, December 1, 2013

First Time: Ballet!

The other day I went to a Ballet show with my roommates and friends. It was my first time ever seeing a ballet performance live! It was great! It was in the middle of a stressful week but it was worth it. 
The first performance was with fairytale characters like Princess Aurora, little red riding hood, and even Puss-in-boots! I was afraid a ballet performance would be too sophisticated and beyond my comprehension, but I'm glad it was an easy to follow story. :)
It was a wedding and each pair of dancers blessed the couple with their own performances. It was jovial, sweet, delightful, even a little humorous! 

The second performance was almost a complete switch from the first. And it was one of what I would consider the top highlights of the evening. Unlike the first performance, it was mysterious, raw, calm, and eerily beautiful. Where the first performance had colorful and bright costumes, in the second one the performers wore little to nothing, and not in a scandalous way, of course. It was light, airy, fluttery pieces of clothing, almost second skin like. The sudden switch to simplicity was refreshing! And that's not to say the initial costumes were unbearable, but the contrast between the two performances complimented each other really nicely. Their performance seemed more smoother in transition, more fluid. They way the ballerinas flew into the arms of their partners and the way they almost seem to freeze frame on the instance they collide, was one of my favorite moments. 

The other performances didn't take to my liking as much as the first two, but they were definitely worth seeing. It was more folk and I never realized ballet could encompass any of that! It was different, interesting, and I only wish I could of appreciated it more. 


To future Jackie:
Have you seen anymore performances like this one that left such an impression?
Hope I've had more to enjoy than just the regular tv shows and anime :)

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment