Tuesday, October 15, 2013

SASE National Conference 2013

As mentioned in my last post, I attended a conference and oh boy did this one weekend encompass a whole bunch of up and downs.
But I think I grew as a person after it all and I'm glad I attended.

Aside from the kickass John Saddington that blew my mind, there were some other highlights.
Our team winning $2000 dollars in the Innoservice Design competition held by SASE.
Matt Mattson from Phired Up giving a talk about social excellence and maintaining an organization. He's one amazing public speaker! I'm not sure if I'm able to practice all that he's taught us, but he sure had some nice advice.
The Viet and Chinese food in Philly was amazing. Pho and dim sum, I miss it already.

And there were the downsides,
We were upset at first about not winning 1st place, and that led to a lot of arguing, stubborn tantrums. I still believe we're not sore losers, we might not be the most professional students out there, but looking at it from an engineering perspective, we genuinely felt like we deserved better. And I still stand by that.
But, with a few days to cool down, we're grateful for 2nd place. Our design team works days and nights to earn a title and a place on the map for our Syracuse Chapter, and I couldn't be more proud of them. Seriously, we might not be the most successful chapter, but I'm so glad we have the team we have now.
We didn't get to go to dinner with the chapter leaders, and that probably disappointed the regional coordinators, but we made a promise to our eboard we'd spend time with them, and I'm glad our president made the decision to skip this time around.

This is probably the most eventful conference yet, being it is my 4th time at a SASE conf (2nd National).

Although it seems like it had more downsides, the upsides definitely count for more.

To future Jackie,
When you read this, remember this time as a drama-full, frustrating, but fun time. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment